Monday, September 10, 2007

Going Commando

Pardon the long lack of an update. I am not sure if anyone even reads this any more. Summer was extremely busy, with the old guys going home, and some new dudes coming in. Between the proscribed physio and trying to get away for a bit, my summer vacation quickly slipped away. Events with work have left me angry with my employers, but then I have a good day with my kids and I know why I still love my job. Things have been up and down, rinse and repeat. But this week has brought some of the most amazing developments in about half a year.

My birthday later this month, will mark six months to the day since I received ACL reconstruction surgery. The process of rehabilitation has not been an easy one, nor did I expect it to be. The daily exercises have been time consuming, and in the summer heat, unbearable. The parts of my leg that the brace covers have been in a constant state of heat rash for months, and worsening as the temperature rose in August. It has been as difficult as I foresaw.

Last weekend I went it for my six month check up (a few weeks early, as my hard work had paid off, and my schedule was bumped up a bit). I did the full sphere of strength tests in the physiotherapy room. And then it was on to the doctor. He asked the usual questions, and then performed the stress and stability test. All seemed good, so I started to put my Don-Joy Custom Leg Brace (or Non-Joy as I have actually changed the name on it with white out) when bomb dropped:

He saw what I was doing and said this: “You don't have to wear the Don-Joy in your daily life.” I was elated. I had never ventured to imagine that I would be free of the Don-Joy so soon. He told me that running, biking, and swimming were all ok with the brace off, but to put it on when I do other sports. That got me again! Up until now I haven't been allowed to run or swim, let alone do other sports! But then he laid something else on me. He asked me to please wear the brace at least the first few times I go snowboarding. WHAT! I was resigned that I couldn't board this year, but he said to take it easy at the start, and wait for after the next MRI to push it.

I was shocked. It was some of the best news I had heard in a long time. My week had been really shitty, and that just turned it around. I am not going to push it too hard on my leg yet, but I have started to add some running and biking to my physio schedule. I am determined to get my power back up to full (currently at 70%) so that I can fully enjoy this winter. But the dream that is so close to a reality, of getting back to my sports unexpectedly pales in comparison to what he had said before.

Three days with out the Don-Joy and I am loving it. The freedom of movement and the lack of sweaty itchy leg is simply amazing. But it is also strange. I have been trying to explain to people, because they all ask what it's like to be with out it. The only answer that I have managed to find that fits the feeling is this: if you are a habitual underwear wearer, and then you miss laundry day and go commando one day, you don't feel bad or good, just different and strange. That is pretty much how it feels to be Don-Joyless. Strange, and sometimes unnerving (say at the bottom of a flight of stairs) but also exhilarating free.

So I can run, I can jump, I can swim, I can most likely board this winter, and I don't need to have the Velcro and plastic prison on my leg all the time. I have been busy, and had some ups and downs recently, but now I am way on top. And the view, it is damn sweet.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Adam!! That is such good news! Does your leg feel kind of naked? It's been a long time since it's been exposed. (Kenan will have fun commenting on my comments......)
Take it easy and keep up the good work!
Love, Mum

Anonymous said...

good to hear man! i didnt realise you were having to wear that everyday, nice work. i seem to be heading in the oposite direction with my knees these days, after ultimate my right knee (the one i messed up back in my younger sporting days) ackes and has bad tremours. getting old! well its good to hear your on the up swing these days, talk to you this week! later,
Bruce.

Marcus said...

Adam Stokes, Adam Stokes. You suddenly popped into my head the other day, and wondered if you were still in Japan. Indeed you are, and have had a slew of adventure from the sounds of it. Sorry about your leg man, but at least it's on the mend.
Kinda moot now to ask how you are; I've just read it all. Drop me a line sometime, love to hear from you.

This is Marcus by the way, Marcus Wu. opiumsale@gmail.com

gamera63 said...

Hi.
Sorry to hear that leg part. Are you okay now?
I injured my right shoulder last year and had a surgery with micro scope. For a 40ish old man like me, it didn't recover as quick as you do now, I guess.
As some people before me and I have posted, people still read your blog :-)
Wish I could understand long English senteces quicker.

Unknown said...

You mentioned something about going commando...how does your ass feel kinda naked? It's been a long time since it was exposed....

You're welcome Patty.